Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Friday, June 25, 2010

Tetrads - all the boxes ticked!!

My regular readers will know that for the last three years I have been involved with the Bird Atlas scheme organised by the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO). The project involves surveys of the thousands of 2km x 2km squares ("tetrads") of the UK Ordnance Survey National Grid.

Each tetrad requires four two-hour timed surveys (two in winter and two in summer) plus additional observations where possible.

I have been assigned 23 tetrads, so the minimum amount of survey time is 23 x 4 x 2 = 184 hours of fieldwork. I blogged interim reports of my progress here and here.

I am now happy to report that at last I have completed all 92 of the obligatory two-hour timed surveys. I have not counted how many individual bird observations I have up-loaded to the national data-base, but it is thousands!

All the boxes ticked! Each tick represents a two-hour timed survey
(winter on the left, summer on the right).
The 23rd tetrad is not shown on this map.

7 Comments:

Blogger Charles Gramlich said...

Wow, that sounds like a major task for sure. Congrats on getting the boxes ticked. I bet some intersting information will come out of all this.

4:02 pm  
Blogger Badger said...

Well done Maalie!

5:11 pm  
Blogger Lana Gramlich said...

Congratulations! I admire your dedication. :)

10:49 pm  
Blogger simon said...

it was an utter pleasure to be involved in a few of these mate with you. I learned a great deal as well as enjoyed the English countryside.

I did think that farmer was going o run us over with his tractor though!

9:16 am  
Blogger Sabi Sunshine said...

wow, amazing job Maalie.. I am so proud of you .. keep up the good work .. will wait for more excitement in your next post.

love
sabi sunshine

4:27 pm  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Great, Maalie! A dedicated man indeed, who loves what he does.

1:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim,

Graft! Let me know when you are coming across to Millom Park, a Tetrad in waiting? The Punch Bowl is under new management but continues, as good as before.

I have acquired some archaeology walks for the Duddon Valley. If you fancy it this summer, we could meet at Foxfield with bikes. Cycle to Broughton, pick up pies and cakes etc, cycle up to Broughton Mills. Do the walks, taking in The Pike, Hoses Pass, various adits. Return for a pint at The Blacksmiths at Broughton Mills, cycle for another at The Manor in Broughton, find our way to the PoW at Foxfield, push the bikes to appropriate trains.

It could be a real feat of timetabling!

Best wishes,

Jon of The Hill

PS. X-Trail inspired, I have been modding the Berlingo as micro-motorhovel and would like to swap notes. My next decision is whether to max up to a carp fisherman's chair-bed. These super-luxurious loungers are designed to take a somnolent 18 stone fisherman, and may be a solution.

8:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home