Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Monday, July 12, 2010

Maalie is afloat again!

Yes, after being boat-free for a number of years, I am now on the water again! The craft is a kayak in the "Feel Free" range, the "Nomad" class. Light and robust, it can be managed comfortably by one person and is ideal for exploring the Cumbria lakes and rivers; and on the sea in fine weather. A small wheel in the keel at the rear allows it to be trundled from the car to any launching place.

Putting my Feelfree Nomad through its paces on Coniston Water in Cumbria

Venturing further out as I get the feel of the kayak

A view of the Old Man of Coniston from the cockpit

The kayak is light enough to be lifted onto the roof of my X-trail
where it sits on an inflatable roof rack

My thanks to Jill of Windermere Canoe and Kayak for her patience in kitting me out!


12 Comments:

Blogger lorenzothellama said...

Wayhay!!! Look forward to having a go! Don't tip yourself out! They are very tippy-uppy!

9:06 pm  
Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

Gorgeous scenery where you live. Very rural. But I imagine the water is not exactly warm!

10:22 pm  
Blogger simon said...

fantastic mate for real. Makes my old B-line look heavy and ponderous!

Keep me posted on its performance as I wanted to get one for David and kit it out for fishing and bird spotting

11:40 pm  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Nice. Hope you have many an enjoyable outing in it!

12:11 am  
Blogger Maalie said...

Lorenzo: I'm afraid kayaking isn't really a girlie thing. But I might let you sit in it on your canal while I am holding by a rope from the shore.

Kiwi: Not too cold in summer - kids actually swim in the lakes. In any case, I wear a wet suit.

Simon: I've had a couple of hours in it and it handles well, even in a slight chop.

Ted: Thanks, it's great fun!

12:18 pm  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

Can I take my handbag and high heeled shoes on the ship when you tow me on the canal?

Oh, and three baby Mandarins. All fluffy and girly. I expect they are blond at heart and come from Essex.

1:15 pm  
Anonymous Pam said...

Not a girlie thing? Women's kayaking is an Olympic sport! Does your kayak have a name?

10:02 am  
Blogger abby said...

I love kayaking. You look very contented! We must invest in a couple - kayaking around the voes would be lovely

2:21 pm  
Blogger Badger said...

Just don't go as fast as Donald Campbell did.

7:59 pm  
Anonymous May said...

Be careful and do not go kayaking by yourself!
Apart from that, it must be a nice sport.

7:22 pm  
Blogger Lana Gramlich said...

I haven't been kayaking in over 30 years & now that I think about it, it's been almost 20 since I went canoeing. I'd love to get back out on the water again. I'm a bit nervous about our state reptile, however. I can see alligators being a serious concern to a seriously rusty kayaker!

2:27 am  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I'm going canoeing next month on the Norfolk Broads. My last time was on the lake in Centre Parcs, but I'm really looking forward to joining Norfolk's top Canoe Man for this scenic trip :)

10:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home