Blog Site by Appointment to His Regal Majesty the Maalie King

He who would be a Leader, let him be a Bridge

Crown Copyright: The Royal Maalie Court

Monday, July 26, 2010

Maalie's Five Lake Adventure - Part 1

The advertisement for my new Feel-Free Nomad Kayak claims: "It will soon become your friend". I was keen to put this claim to the test with a tour of some of the more remote lakes in Cumbria's Lake District. Setting off from Maalie Court at 5.00am, I launched onto Derwent Water at exactly 8.00am on a flat-calm clear morning.

Derwent Water


The hills of Borrowdale reflected in the calm of Derwent Water

I head off towards an island in the lake with the fells of Skiddaw as a backdrop

A group of Cormorants soak up the early morning sun on a rocky outcrop in Derwent Water

Crummock Water

After an hour and a half of exploring Derwent Water, the boat was back on the roof rack of my X-Trail to head up into Borrrowdale towards what is claimed to be the prettiest sight in Cumbria, namely Buttermere. Unfortunately there was nowhere close enough to the lake edge to park and launch the boat and so I continued on up to Crummock Water.

By midday, a gentle breeze was just rippling the surface of Crummock water

Looking north on Crummock Water, with cumulus clouds above the lake

I pull ashore on an island in Crummock Water in order to admire my boat from the shore.
It already feels like it is becoming my friend

Incidentally, Crummock Water was given an alternative name in honour of my Norwegian ballerina friend Helén during her visit to the Lake District in May 2005. We named it Helén's Water.





Helén poses en attitide (left) at the edge of Crummock Water (a.k.a. Helén's Water) in May 2005, and in costume (right - this photo from her FB).

After exploring Crummock Water, I adventured forth to the smaller lake of Lowes Water.

Lowes Water

Evening at Lowes Water, looking South. The lake is renowned for its population of pike and though I tried fishing for a couple of hours, I did not catch one

A call of nature obliges me to find a concealed haven
in which to pull ashore for a few moments

By the time I came off Lowes Water it was time for my evening meal, cooked on my camping stoves, and then to settle down for the night. After a day of beautiful weather, the clouds appeared to be gathering in the evening gloom. But I still had two more lakes to explore...

That will be a story for my next post!

24 Comments:

Blogger lorenzothellama said...

Is that a Red Ensign on the back of your yacht?

5:33 pm  
Blogger Maalie said...

Gosh, that's a quick comment! I wonder if you saw the post while I was still drafting it?

No, the flag is that of my Boating Club - yes, I have still maintained my membership of the MidYell Boating Club and so am entitled to fly it from the mast head!

5:37 pm  
Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

What superlative scenery and beautiful stretches of water! A truly wonderful use of a summer's day!

6:46 pm  
Blogger Maalie said...

Thank you Kiwi, but just you wait for Part 2 ;-)

7:01 pm  
Blogger Craver Vii said...

Your ballerina friend is an elegant model. I have been trying to learn how to take good photographs of people. It is more difficult than I expected. Nicely done, Maalie.

9:09 pm  
Blogger Maalie said...

Oh, Craver Vii, I did not take the photo of Helén on the right, I apologise if it misled. I will edit accordingly.

9:39 pm  
Blogger lorenzothellama said...

I especially like the first two photos. There's something very special about water first thing in the morning.
I was fast commenting because I happened to be on facebook when I saw the notice pop up that your new blog was out!

10:30 pm  
Blogger Craver Vii said...

Well, they did a superb job with the lighting.

Your outdoor photos are beautiful also.

Kayaking over these waters must be a pleasure, as it looks so serene.

10:39 pm  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Beautiful pictures indeed. Picture perfect. Seems like you had that kind of a time.

11:43 pm  
Blogger simon said...

brilliant post. I am reluctant to crap on about photos but mate- those first few are ready to be used as paintings!

Keep me posted on the Kayak as it seems something we need to upgrade to here!

12:00 am  
Blogger Sabi Sunshine said...

Beautiful pictures as usual... Can't wait for the story on next.

Love
Sunshine

2:27 am  
Blogger Maalie said...

Simon, yes, I am really happy with it, so light and manoeuverable, and can lift it onto the roof rack and the wheel in the keel make wheeling it down to the water very easy.

Ted and Sunshine: Thanks! Part 2 will be up in a couple of days and will be a little different!

10:22 am  
Blogger Merisi said...

Maalie, these lakes are real jewels!
All the pictures are very beautiful, the second from the top is a master piece.

10:38 am  
Blogger Maalie said...

Merisi, thank you so much! For that picture I had to paddle forwards quite quickly towards the island so that the ripples made by the boat didn't overtake me and spoil the reflection!

11:55 am  
Blogger Maalie said...

By the way, doesn't anybody like the cormorants? I felt so pleased I could drift up so close in the boat without upsetting them!

11:59 am  
Blogger Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Hi Maalie, Merisi sent me over to see your Lake District post. Your photos of Derwentwater bring back happy memories of my visit there in the summer of 2009....I look forward to your next post. The Lake District was a favorite of all the places we visited that summer. Wish I could have stayed there longer and skipped London!!

7:05 pm  
Blogger Sara at Come Away With Me said...

PS: your new kayak is very handsome!

7:05 pm  
Blogger simon said...

I like the cormorants very much!

6:15 am  
Blogger Maalie said...

Sara, yes I feel so lucky to have retired in such a beautiful and intersting district :-)

Simon: Thanks mate!

9:24 am  
Blogger Craver Vii said...

How would I know if I like cormorants? I've never eaten one.

Actually, I must admit that you DID manage to get incredibly close, so hats-off to you!

7:04 pm  
Blogger Merisi said...

I wonder if Cormorants breaded and fried were as tasty as Viennese fried chicken ... ;-)

8:19 pm  
Blogger Badger said...

Brilliant photos Maalie

9:35 pm  
Blogger Maalie said...

Badger: Thanks!

Craver Vii and Merisi: In times of austerity (e.g. during and just after the war) they were sold in markets as "wild geese" and I suppose they tasted rather fishy!

11:43 am  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

What an honour for Helen. This is all good practice for the Broads. I'm afraid it's been a while since I paddled away...

6:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home